March 04, 2009

Honeysuckle, shes full of poison














I really adore this collection from Dsquared and it has almost nothing to do with the actual garments. I feel that way about a lot of the Fall 09 shows actually. There aren't that many stand-out clothes or accessories that I feel I couldn't a) find somewhere cheaper or b) make myself. (The exceptions being the studded Alex Wang bag ala MK, the tights featured at Doo Ri, and the platforms at Burberry)

This collection stands out for me because its styled with such nonchalance that it seems as though Dean and Dan Caten may have just pulled pedestrians off the street to put the runway looks together. Its refreshing to see something so versatile and so relatable. Though clearly not the goal of a designer's collection, this show says, "you don't need the Dsquared jacket to have this look." I could put something similar together using thrift stores finds and pieces from my existing wardrobe...this makes me smile.

Some other F09 shows that can easily be reproduced on a budget:

Missoni


Burberry Prorsum


Topshop Unique

2 comments:

KALIN said...

I loved DSquared too. I especially enjoyed the Starbucks cups in the hands of the models. Such a wonderfully tasty accessory.

Oh! And the Doo.Ri tights...sweet jesus. Might have to DIY some up for myself- hellooo hot glue gun.

Vintage Lollipops said...

I love everything about this collection! I definitely feel the DIY coming on... xxx